Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The "devil" of being "tired"

It pretty much never fails that when I feel totally and completely exasperated by my professional goals, something and/or someone reminds me to stay the course. Today that source of my reminder was a post by one of my favourite Doctor bloggers, the Grady Doctor. This reminder like most of them, brought tears to my eyes which is kinda odd when your in the middle of the cafeteria at a major cancer center.

Class wise, things are going well as usual but I did have a moment where I thought about what it means to be in a class full of Oncologists. In total, only 2 of us are at the predoctoral level and it's a little complicated to think about why this situation makes me a little uncomfortable. A good deal of it is that in these settings, I'll get asked at least once if I'm a Physician or what type of Physician I am. And I this question used to make me feel good, but now I find it kinda annoying because it's a reminder of the fact that I'm not where I want to be. Yet. But I'm always gracious when I receive this compliment, saying "thank you" and adding that I'm not a Physician. Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment