Monday, April 8, 2013

MCAT, AGAIN!



Anyone reading my blog knows that I've taken the MCAT a zillion times which, if I can take a step back and look at it, is crazy as hell, LOL!!! My regular readers many also remember that I've kept track of my progress through my EK MCAT prep books. So in the ones I'm working in now (EK Biology), I have scores going back to 2003. That's NINE years of working through the same darn book! URGH! But even more ironic is the fact that because I'm a "Science book horder", I haven't had to buy much of anything to get started with my tutoring business, so I guess things kinda worked out!

That said, it's just soooooo ironic that I'm not only an MCAT tutor (and paid quite handsomely too) after FLUNKING out of undergrad as a Science major, but that sitting on this side of the MCAT equation, I see the exam soooo differently. I see the tricks in the questions like a woman with Superwoman vision. And the question I keep asking myself over and over and over again, is WHY did I let this exam "psyche" me out so much back in the day?

Anhoo, I'm meeting with a student on Wednesday for Biology and Chemistry MCAT review, so I'm spending a lot of the next 2 days preparing for our sesison. And that means LOTS of MCAT review problems. I've also decided to register for to retake the exam on the last day it's given this year as applying to med school this year before my 2011 score expires isn't on the table given all the changes coming over the next few months. And I definitely want to apply to med school as a state resident in my new home!

10 comments:

  1. I'm planning to take the MCAT in January. So, I guess we will be studying for the test in the same time. It's cool that you are tutoring the mcat students, and getting paid to go over the MCAT materials you need to study anyway. Very very smart of you. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doc, I'm actually enjoying studying this time around which is a little strange! And getting paid to study is a great benefit too!

      Delete
  2. Same here! Planning to take the MCAT in January and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE middle age!

    Blessings,

    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Kitty, and be sure to check back to let us know how you did on the exam!

      Delete
  3. I too am shooting for January also. I have taking it once, but didn't study correctly. Now I think I am overwhelmed with information and study material.

    I am going to try this time with the Exam Krackers books, and audio osmosis and then just take as many practice test as I can...

    But I have had a heck of a time just taking off...

    I have been on home study week 1, for about 10 weeks... :P

    Well good luck on the move and the test in January :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello NyWood, thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Just a word of caution about having multiple sources of study materials, it's VERY easy to overwhelm yourself with so much information that you literally get NOTHING effective done. So I think it's best to decide early on what materials you're going to use and stick with that. I personally recommend a combo of The Berkley Review and EK after having tried ALL of them and I do mean ALL of them. If you're interested in my methods, send me an email for details. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Hi Path201X, thanks for the offer, I will definitely send you an email. (not sure how yet, but I will figure it out) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I found your blog, affirmation that I should continue to push this medical career. Thank you. I wish you all the best and success on your MCAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Amy, good luck to you too!

      Delete