Friday, October 31, 2014

7 thoughts/reflections since I moved to Texas

In reflecting over my life in the year since I moved to hot arse Texas, I'm thankful for and appreciative of, the many ways I've grown as a person, Scientist, and future Scientist/Physician. Here's a list of the most notable of a list too deep to count:

1) I have a "backbone" made of PURE titanium, the strongest substance known to man, strength to weight ratio wise!!! ;)

2) I have "doubled down" on my research goals combining cancer health disparities and bioinformatics. And that's a good thing, because no one really seems to give a damn that the mortality rate from cancer for minorities is at epidemic levels.

3) #2 means that I may have to do my dissertation work at a federal agency. That's cool, because that's the environment I'm targeting for a long term career anyway, if I don't "locums" until retirement.

4) I will be leaving my current department at the end of the year and the reasons are in my past 3-4 posts. Turns out that a 4.0 in Bioinformatics looks fabulous to MANY other schools/departments.

5) With the idea that I may be further delaying my matriculation in med school, I'm still seriously starting a PhD program in Bioinformatics next Fall, where my dissertation AND med school goals will be supported. To hell with "picking one", if I were 20 years younger and any other race than Black, I seriously doubt I'd meet with such bull crap, academically unsubstantiated resistance.

6) Thanks in large part to age discrimination in the med school admissions process, DO programs are now front and center on my med school radar. My Paediatrician growing up was a DO and I've ALWAYS received MUCH premed love from DO schools. At almost 50, I'm tired of "paving roads with my a$$", I'm choosing to go down a path someone else's a$$ paved. Plus, I'm paving enough roads by being a Black woman in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology.

7) I realize more than EVER the importance of family, friends, and mentors having my back!

Lastly, doubt, discouragement, and negativity can have SEVERAL seats and STAND BACK!!!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment