Friday, June 13, 2014

The most important accomplishment in my ENTIRE life....



.....getting my only kid to college with a full scholarship in hand to study Engineering this Fall!

Of course, I actually forgot her graduation date until my sister/friend/kid's godmother sent me an email the Sunday before last Friday's graduation letting me know when her flight would arrive the coming Thursday. And my first thought when I received her text message was "why is she flying out here a week early"?? DUH!!! So I didn't actually forget DD's graduation, I got the date mixed up by one week, which probably sounds just as bad!

In reflecting over this past year, I had a TON of doubt that moving to hot a$$ Texas just before her Senior year was the best thing to do. But she hated high school much until we did move, that she was going to graduate a year early. So everything worked out in the end she loved her Senior year and made great friends. OTOH, she didn't get nearly the academic accolades she would have received had we stayed at her old high school in Maryland and she not transferred to a new high school last November (too late for Tennis season and selection to the Honor Society :( ). But she did manage to make the Honor roll for 3 of 4 quarters and sat first chair in the violin section in the Orchestra. Most importantly, her education will be completely free thanks to her scholarship and selection to the Honors program for Engineering students at her University. Most significant for me though, is that there's a TON of diversity at her university including in STEM programs which was of the upmost importance to me. I strongly believe that her seeing other brown girls studying in STEM, will have a HUGE impact on both her social and academic life!

Moving on, things are going great for me as well, not too much to update with other than what I've already said a thousand times before, I LOVE my life here in hot a$$ Texas!! :)

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! Congrats to you on raising such an accomplished young woman, and a big congrats to your daughter on completing a huge milestone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dr. D, it'll be your turn sooner than you know!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations for you and your daughter!!! What a happy moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorena, it really is a highly overwhelming yet joyous moment for both of us!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! That is an awesome accomplishment! May God bless the journey ahead of her!!! Yayyy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Whitney and thanks for taking time out to comment!!

      Delete