Saturday, May 23, 2015

Uptown Girl

                                             * my "uptown girl" hat

My apologies for the weeks long delay, between final projects and packing/moving I've been VERY busy!! But I'm sooooo happy to be starting my new gig at a major hospital while livin' in the city!!! YES!!!! I'm also excited to be working side by side with clinicians, and I'm certain this experience will only enhance my need to stay focused on my future Physician/Scientist career!

I have my orientation on Monday and will try to give a report of my first impressions next weekend. I'm also still working on my summer plans but other than working on Verbal MCAT and taking ONE advanced stats class, I don't have anything else planned. Hold on, I do plan to volunteer at a hospital as well, although I would thoroughly enjoy working with special needs kids at a local school too. But the fact is that from this point until May 2016, 99.999% of my actions need to point me in the direction of med school ONLY, so that likely means a hospital position.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

This afore mentioned text is what I was supposed to post last weekend, but I got busy and simply forgot. Suffice it to say that I had a fabulous first week at the hospital and while it wasn't without any glitches at all, I simply refuse to focus on ANY of that and keep things pushing with my med school plans. One thing that is crystal clear besides my Physician goals is that my doctoral focus in Biomedical Informatics is a great move! Just not great enough for me to drop my med school plans and that's a great thing because I need to stay focused on med school by ANY means necessary.

So in the process of finishing my coursework last semester( all A's again), moving to the city, and getting settled in my new gig, I've been researching what I'm going to do to prepare for the MCAT. And I've decided to go with the new EK materials which seem to have good reviews. I've decided to order the complete new set not just pieces and parts just so that I'm covering everything. I'll also have to look into which companies are providing practice exams patterned after the new exam, but I'm darn happy I decided against taking the new exam this summer without first letting the new test "guinea pigs" go through it first. This decision jacked my application timeline by a year, but it's not a regret in the slightest because the better I can do on this new exam, the more options I'll have for my training. And I can't emphasize this enough, almost everyone I knew who applied/matriculated to med school with scores on the low end, had to repeat at least one (and a few times ALL) of their USMLEs/COMLEXs. No, there's not a 1:1 correlation between MCAT scores and performance on these exams, but mastering standardized test taking before med school will almost always pay off later in med school.

Well, I'd better get back to unpacking and organizing, I realize this is a months long endeavor, but I'm trying to create a home like atmosphere ASAP!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment