Saturday, November 8, 2014

The "In the meantime" gig.....


                                   * No, I'm NOT looking for love, LOL!!

So after finally getting caught up in one of my Informatics core classes (yeah me!!) :)), I'm back to spending a lot of time looking into gig prospects. And unfortunately, I still haven't been able to secure a suitable research position despite an exhaustive effort!! But like clockwork, I'll continue to send a letter of research interest to a PI every week and apply for whatever research gigs become available. Because THAT is what it means to be as tenacious as 50 bull dogs.:)  I should emphasize local gig because I did get an offer to go back East, but turned it down. I also interviewed for a fellowship with another federal agency and I will probably seriously consider that one if I get an offer. It's just so difficult to consider moving (again) for the second time in a calendar year, with a family without some serious pre-planning. So I've decided I need to explore other local gig options including this one which probably appears to come straight outta' no where, Pharmacy Technician.

Now I'm certain folks are probably VERY perplexed about this but it actually relates a lot to my background, and ironically to my recent research experiences. One of the projects I worked on this past summer involved drug-drug interactions, so I'm quite familiar with ALL the major drug databases. I also have Gov't job experience in chemical drug evaluation as well as an MS in Pharmacology. Most relevant to my next possible gig is the fact that back in the day, I worked as a Pharm Tech during a time when I thought I would apply to Pharmacy school.

One thing IS very clear about me right now is that I'm soooooooooooooo desperate to work with "people people" and with patients, that I'll do damn near ANYTHING!! So when it comes down to clinical gigs I can get into/trained in quickly only 2 come to my mind, CNA(certified nursing assistant) or Pharmacy Tech. And given what my sister (who's a Pharmacist), says about working as a Pharmacy Tech these days, I MUST be pretty damn desperate to get that "clinical" interaction by working in a retail pharmacy, ROTFL!!!! I would prefer a hospital pharmacy gig, but sometimes you gotta' do what you gotta' do, and take whatever you can get! :)

So for now, in addition to finishing up my classes, I'm learning the top 200 drugs in use, blowing the dust off my basic math skills for pharm calculations, while also preparing mentally for volunteering at a hospice agency. And I'm hoping to start all this by January 2015 if nothing else comes through. In other words, even with this highly curvaceous path to the 'Dr' title, life is still VERY interesting and VERY good! I just gotta hang in there and keep being patient!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment