Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mother-Daughter tag team!


So it turns out that the school I want DD to attend for college just happens to also be the school where I'm applying to the PhD program in Informatics/Epidemiology. And why this just now occurred to me I don't know, but I'm sure DD is on some level, freaked out by the prospect of us being at the same school, LOL!! Oh well! :)

Other news is that the Informatics position I blogged about last week is pretty much a done deal. Okay, I don't know that for sure, but I'm pretty optimistic that that's the case! In the meantime, I've got a TON of papers and courses to review in preparation because I intend to hit a "home run" in this interview for a job which will be a financial high point in my career. And given how bad the economy is for many people, I'm so thoroughly blessed to be in this position!

Speaking of Informatics, I attended a course in GIS at my future PhD school yesterday and like all the other things I'm learning in and around Informatics, it was a LOT of fun! And in an even bigger irony is the fact that a spot opened up for the course 2 hours before it started at a point where I was preparing a resume for gigs in Histology/Pathology, the job area I do NOT want. But when I got that email, I took that as a sign from God that I needed to stay the Informatics/Epidemiology/Data Analysis course (and GIS in the context of disease surveillance is VERY applicable to it) and have faith that God was going to see things through for me. The confirmation came while I was at the GIS training and I was contacted about the Informatics gig for the final in-person interview. And the fact that the new gig is a short 40 minute commute away on the metro (which is 2 minutes from our house) and 1 min to the job on the other end, was simply the icing on the cake! I was DREADING the prospects of commuting every day back and forth for at least 1.5 hours one way, so this revelation was just what I needed to hear!

Now I'm trying to figure how da' heck I'm going to do all the things on my plate now, working full-time, tutoring on the side, AND taking 2 PhD courses!! Oh yeah, and squeezing in some MCAT prep time too! URGH!!! But getting used to juggling is something I'm okay with since I'll have to do this as an MD/PhD student in the future!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment