Friday, May 9, 2014

Deuces Spring 2014!!!

So this semester is FINALLY over and I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo happy! Honestly, I don't think I've worked this hard since I was taking med school courses. Now though, it's time for me to look toward my VERY bright future as things start to fall into place as far as my MD/PhD goals are concerned.

First things first, I will NOT be applying to the joint MD/PhD program this year for a number of reasons, the primary of which is money is just SUPER tight right now. Second, my new department and PI want me to spend ~ 2 years in their department, getting all the preqs for the PhD out of the way, before I go to the med school anyway. In other words, they want me to be sure I'm committed and given my track record in this regard, I can't say I blame them. Third, I AM Still taking the MCAT this year before the exam changes (and because my old scores expire for many schools this year).

So now my unofficial MD/PhD program looks like this:

F2014-S2016, PhD 1, 2

F2016-S2018 MD 1 &2, with PhD research in the summers, though I'm going to be busting my arse to finish the PhD before my clinical years.

F2018-S2020 MD, PhD

And in the Spring of 2020, I'll be the ripe ol' age of 53, LOL!! WOW 53, if someone had said to me that I would be a new MD/PhD in my 50's, I would have laughed! But I'll be the one getting the last laugh here, better to have completed a lifelong goal in one's 50's, than not at all!!!

PS- Because I'm certain I'll have the letters "Dr." in front of my name by 2019, I don't feel especially compelled to change my name from Doc201X!!! ;)

PSS- I finished the semester with 2 A's and 1 B !!!:)




6 comments:

  1. Yes, better late than never plus you'll be all the more wiser! Congratulations on another semester well done, Doc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, wisdom the absolute best part of getting older! Thanks Doc Ward!!

      Delete