Sunday, May 4, 2014

I wanted to become a what?!?!?

This was my first thought as the last lecture for my clinical healthcare class was being given by a Pathologist last Thursday, "How in da' HE!! did I EVER think I wanted to be a Pathologist, LOL"???

Being in the clinic/hospital for rotations these past few months, really honed in the idea that I need to work around "people people" with people/patients. And as much as I hate to stereotype Paths, they just usually ain't "people people"!!! I justified my stay in the field all these years because I thoroughly enjoyed the science in/of pathology. But in retrospect, I should have been looking for gigs with a balance between working with people AND scientific stimulation. The problem is that outside of being a Physician, I can't think of a field I could have had that combo in. Nursing, Physician Assistant would have given me a TON of patient contact but not so much about the science of the diseases I was seeing patients with. So I thought I had found a happy medium in Pathology which at the end of the day, was just "medium", as I don't have much "happy" to say about it outside of my love for science/medical research. And that's kinda sad given how short life is!!

Movin' on, I've also changed my interest in EM/IM to IM/???? And the ??? is feeling more like Peds these days. Again, all this early speculation is done in fun, I'm going to keep a reasonably open mind about speciality choices. It's just funny how my interests always gravitate to the most challenging things like a dual residency program. Go figure!!!

I've also started "lite" studying for the MCAT, randomly going through BS questions and doing extremely well on the ones I've done so far. I also did a VR problem and that was just ugly. But VR requires a certain kind of thinking process, one that has to be learned or relearned in my case. After my last final this coming Thursday, I plan to start MCAT review in earnest this weekend. I'm also planning to order my transcripts to send to AMCAS over the next 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment