Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Going back to what I know

So I've been invited to attend orientation for PhD students in my unofficial "new" department and I'm psyched that I was extended an invitation by my "new" department's director given that I won't be official until this Spring. But like a dweeb I missed the minority student researcher's picnic last weekend, but I was tired, it was hot, and Texas is NO place to be outside in the summer time!

I'm still not really feeling a lab based PhD project, but at this point I'm going with what I already know VERY well, in a department where English is the native language. Now I hate that I had to "go there", but anyone who thinks allowing Doctoral programs to have more non American than American students has lost their non loyal, d@mn mind!

I've also decided on the cancer bio track too and anyone who's been reading my blog knows that I've been doing cancer research since before I started this blog. Of course that means that a good portion of my background is going to come into play class wise, but I'll refrain from forming a "favorite research topic" until I can find a good group with a supportive mentor/PI. Blessedly, since I'll have the minority researchers orgo to network with, it'll be MUCH easier for me to "screen" groups AND PI's.

With all that said, I am under NO illusion that things are going to be cherio 24/7 in my new department because that's just the nature of grad school. However normal challenges aside, that minority support group is going to be worth it's weight in gold for me, just as it was in my 2 other grad programs.

The song I selected for this post is from my favorite Ne-Yo album and is a reminder that sometimes you just have to stop fighting to stay where you aren't welcomed, and go back to what you know. And what I know like the back of my hand is cancer bio, so with me adding a little translational informatics flavor, this is feeling like a recipe for some serious goal achieving!!


No comments:

Post a Comment