Sunday, October 18, 2015

The best premed major is..........................

*image from myfootpath.com

.............Health Information Management/Health Information Technology (HIM/HIT)with a minor in Biology. For this post, I thought I'd share some info rather than focusing on my premed/Doctoral student life, LOL!!!

Why the big push for HIM/HIT? Simple, a Physician spends an obscene amount of time handling/creating health data and I realize this more and more each day as I get more exposed to the health data side of medicine. Plus, a certified HIM graduate (with an RHIA), would make BANK (good money), while gaining everyday access to the bread and butter of medical practice, medical records and health/medical data.

Of course, my current experiences in Health Data Science biases my opinion about premed majors, but the job market and the ~50% med school rejection rate is the primary reason I'm not pro Biology or Chemistry majors for premeds anymore. So I say, why not get a jump start on the data and language of medicine!

I also think this is a great second degree program too, plus there are a few you can do online while holding a full-time job!!! Following graduation and after getting certified, you could work from home as a few HIM gigs are virtual (especially coding positions) which works great for premed parents.

Here's a link to a list of AS, BS, and MS programs in Health Information Management, Health Information Technology, and Health Informatics: Directory of AS, BS, and MS programs in HIM/HI:

Check it out if you're looking for an interesting and in demand major! Speaking of in demand, the RHIA was recently listed #2 on a list of certifications worth having. Certifications in demand:


No comments:

Post a Comment