Monday, October 26, 2015

Tools of the trade

* a yellow highlighter disguised as a injection device

So as I mentioned last week, I attended a premed "fair" at one of the top medical schools in the US which just happens to be in hot arse Texas. And despite some trepidation about how I would feel attending with people around the same age as my daughter, I ended having a great time and "connected" just fine.

Turns out that there are a few middle aged folks at this institution though I still haven't decided if I'll add it to my list. And in retrospect, moving to Texas when we did was a masterstroke since there are numerous med school options with the opening of TWO new medical schools in the state this year alone. But then given the commonplace morbid obesity here, Physicians are definitely needed!! So as of today, there are ~4 school on my list the names of which I'll keep to myself until I matriculate ( when you talk as much smack as I do, it's just common sense to play it safe since this seems to be the era of EXTREME hateration, LOL!!! Speaking of that, shout out to "Illinois" and "MUSC" ;))

Anyway, I'm really glad this semester has kicked my butt as much as it has so far because I really needed the adjustment to my motivation and more importantly, my organizational skills (eternal shout out to Whitney for the upteeneth time!! :))

I'm also leaning toward finishing my Doctorate before matriculation (assuming I have a choice) since I've come to the realization that having dual degree career aspirations in middle age brings on too much negativity. Of course, I've heard this ALL my life starting in my teens, the ONLY thing that's changed is the reason. So rather than telling naysayers to kiss where the sun don't shine, I may chose to matriculate as a Dr. instead.

And speaking of being a Dr., I'm thinking (again) that a residency in Preventative Medicine followed by a fellowship in Clinical Informatics, may be a good fit. Especially in Texas. I'm starting to see way too much in terms of bureaucracy with indigent care which makes me think that while serving undeserved patients is a personal calling, there may be a more fitting way for me to do so. Plus, I think this career could give me the flexibility to every now and then, volunteer my serveries in a country that needs Physicians. Sure, I won't be "certified" to practice medicine, but I'd certainly be willing at assist those who are in whatever possible capacity. I figure that since med students do this kinda thing all the time, there ought to be space for a Physician board certified in a non patient care field to do so too!

No comments:

Post a Comment