Friday, January 30, 2015

Abnormalities



 *image from medscape

First things first, I'm fine (though I'll be confirming soon with a second opinion). But when your hear the words "abnormal mammogram" for the 3rd time since 2002, it makes you "unable to concentrate" nervous for MANY days. So besides being VERY far behind in my classes, I'm happy because at least I have my health.

Interestingly enough, I decided to choose a local (county town) FP for my new family doctor which is ironic because: 1) I had kinda written off FP as a profession due to the constant turf battles with PAs/DNPs/NPs and 2) I wasn't sure a small town doc would "cut it" for me ie would be familiar enough with the medical nuances of Black folks. But it turns out that not only am I considering FP as a career option myself (a distant 4th to Heme/Onc, IM/Hospitalist, and Pathologist) my White, female middle aged FP suits me and my medical nuances just fine.

So other than that scary mammogram moment, everything else is good, MCAT study is moving right along but I find myself distancing myself (yeah, that's redundant as hell) from research these days., and feeling a bigger pull towards clinical medicine. I'm just not sure I'll be able to enjoy a research career as I have in the past enough to stick with it, though my "challenging experiences" over the past 2 or so years plays a huge role in those thoughts I'm sure. I am however crystal clear that what I'm learning in CS will be highly useful to my work as a Clinician one day.

Finally, health issues can be very scary especially when you've had them before. But times like these are a fantastic reminder that God's grace is never far away.



2 comments:

  1. So I'm super behind with your posts (and don't know when I'll be able to catch up), but I am so glad you are ok!!!! Praying that the second opinion confirms good health as well, and as always for your continued perseverance and success, Doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dr. D for your support and encouragement! It really means a LOT!!! :)

      Delete