Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Not just my imagination

Considering how much lament the  challenges with  being a woman in Science, it's always nice to read an article that reminds me that I'm not alone in this "fight":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/minority-groups-in-stem_55b651d3e4b0074ba5a51cbe?

Here's yet another article which speaks on what I talk about pretty regularly, the difficulty of being a Woman, especially a Black woman , in Science. And as much as I'd like to say that the "kum-ba-ya" moments in scientific research are increasing, I think the reverse is true, that's there's never been a more difficult time to be a woman AND a minority in Science. And I point to ONE very important politically INcorrect reason for this disturbing trend and that is the large influx of people from misogynic cultures into research positions in the US. There I said it (again), Doc201X keeps it real!!!!!!

Moving on, I'm working on some Youtube vidoes in Biochem in support of my tutoring business and to help myself and others prepare for the MCAT, and lemme tell ya', this is NOT an easy thing to do! But I figured since I have some time on my hands, I may as well do something productive. Plus, this would be a great way for me to draw in more business so I don't have to work with little egotistical men in tiny Family Dollar suits in the near future, LOL!!! I also purchased my first EK book (Biology 1) and will get to work on an MCAT study plan over the next few weeks. I say weeks because I have NO IDEA how I'm going to approach preparing for the exam this time, I'm looking into what others are doing and trying to get an honest assessment of where my weaknesses are (cough, genetics/physics, cough). Here's a screen shot of my using the Khan Academy videos (with me in the background shadows, lol) to play catch up in the biological sciences:



And in the spirit of keeping it real, here's my girl, Cheryl Lynn with a classic hit about doing just that!












No comments:

Post a Comment