Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Can a sista' get some clarity?


So I found out today that the paperwork for my fellowship in Health/Biomedical Informatics is being formalized which means I should start sometime next month. I also realized that I need to stay in the department I'm in for now too (I wasn't really feeling leaving now anyway) and take my elective classes in the department I plan to get a PhD in. Right now, that's looking like a basic science 'ish department because I need the MD/PhD to be FULLY paid for and that's the only way they'll roll. But since I'll still get to concentrate in Bioinformatics, I'm not unhappy about how things are coming together. More than that, I don't think it's wise to get a PhD in ANY basic science field alone, so having a formal degree in Health Informatics too would be a nice "fall back" plan in case I needed one.

The really great news is that I only need a few more courses to sit for my orals/cums for the PhD based on what I've already completed. And in the nicest piece of irony EVER, 2 of the major courses in my TBD PhD program are in Pathobiology (with medical students). Yeah, I'm gonna pretty much slam dunk that, ROTFL!!!! But what I'm starting to question is the logistics of taking my cums/orals after only 1 year of classes knowing everyone else normally takes them after 2 years. I'm also trying not to let my prior experience with these things lead to me to make a less than logical decision course load wise, but then I'd also kinda hate to be taking cums/orals at the end of my first year of med school too. But perhaps the summer between MS1 and MS2 could work?

Oh well, I'm going to "slow my roll" so to speak, 'cause I ain't hardly got admitted yet, LOL!!! But in my mind, this summer is going to be my unofficial MD/PhD year 1. :)  So I'm planing for the intensity of my courses beginning this summer, to be VERY med school like since I'm going to be blasting away at the requirements in both my current department and my future PhD department too!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment