Sunday, April 20, 2014

On task, on point.


"So my interview went very well and I left recommitted to earning my MD/PhD. Not that I ever really gave up on the idea as crazy as it is for a middle age woman, but when you know your professional "calling" you just KNOW it no matter how crazy it sounds...............Of course, I let my interviewer/new mentor know that I had familial obligations that I didn't want to disrupt right now, though I would certainly consider it in 4 years when my kid finishes high school."

Doc201x's blog post on March 18, 2011.


So here I am, almost 3 years to the day after I wrote this post following a meeting with one of my east coast sista' PhD mentors about my plans to earn the MD/PhD back in 2011. And my first thought after rereading this post was the stupid and pathetic anonymous recent comment by a female long term reader which was IMO, an attempt to crush my dream. I guess I use the term long term reader VERY loosely in this case since I've been damn consistent and clear for years now about my  time frame for pursuing my professional and academic dreams. At any rate, it STILL pisses me off that people feel so comfortable discouraging other people which is why I tell my clients and anyone else with a professional/academic dream, to tell ANYONE who discourages them to kiss their a$$! TWICE! On BOTH cheeks!!!!

Movin' on, I've got about 4 clinic days this week and I'm really looking forward to it as usual!!! My rotations include Peds, IM outpatient, then 2 rotations at the county hospital next Friday and Saturday. The Peds rotation is the one I'm most curious about mainly to see how it's going to compare to the last Peds rotation I did back in the early 90's. Unless my appts with my kid counts, LOL!! And I'm certain that Saturday night at a county hospital is going to be real interesting clinically. That said, I've thought a LOT about the idea of "compassionate care" I observed at the county hospital and I still don't think I could deal this on a day to day basis knowing I could do more, but also knowing that the financial circumstances won't allow it. In fact, I think I'd rather for example, not be able to give a patient dialysis because the clinic I worked in lacked the equipment, than to have it and not be able to use it. Unfortunately, these are real life issues for Docs at public hospitals and may God continue to bless everyone who works at one.

Lastly, I finished my second Bioinformatics methods course with an "A", though I didn't have the 100% perfect average I had going into the final exam (I ended up with a 95% average). And because talking about my grades feels so "gunnerish" and silly, I think this is the last time I'm going to report on stuff like this.

2 comments:

  1. If you don't mind, please continue to share on your excellent grades, successes, and accomplishments...you are very bright and we, your readers enjoy every opportunity to celebrate your successes and cheer you on! Sharing your achievements helps and encourages others on the path to their dreams and we know you're all about that. Congrats on another "A" Doc and we look forward to the many more good reports to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Elle! Don't downplay your accomplishments just because it makes others uncomfortable. You worked hard for this ish! LOL But seriously, I enjoy reading about when others do well. It motivates me even more. Congrats Doc!

    ReplyDelete