Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Talk to me.

*Image from the Calbuzz website about the group Talking Heads

So my Mom and I finally had a verbal showdown conversation earlier today, and it's an understatement to say it wasn't pleasant. Or pretty. She finally "came clean" about her Dx and says it's "not that bad". And that she's been "dealing with it" for over a year. So my best guess is that this is not only a recurrence from last year, but a different Dx from the one years ago. Lovely. I was accused of not "minding my own damn business (yep) and of over reacting (nope). And my reaction may have something to do with the fact that not only have I been a cancer researcher for most of my adult life, I have a family history on my Dad's side including my Dad who died with TWO active types of cancer. So I called her out on her selfish behavior, got cussed out, then called her out about it again. Mothers..... BLACK mothers in particular. SO DAMN STUBBORN, and in the Black comunity, silence KILLS!!! URGH!!!! Anyhoo, this is the last I'm going to blog about it because I'd probably get cursed out again for going public about it if she knew.

Movin' on, I decided to cancel my meeting tomorrow with the PI in my old department about a joint research project. The wounds are still too fresh for me and quite frankly, I can see a TON of problems if I do. I will however, meet with my Dr.B's wife because she and I already have a great relationship and the type of cancer she studies, is really where my interest lie. The problem is that that type of cancer she studies just isn't "sexy" anymore (translated not as well funded as it used to be) and a TON of money has been invested in that other cancer I studied in my old department. I'm not going to specify which one thanks to my "haters", at least not until I find myself happily esconced in medical school. Then I'll come completely "clean".

Below is a song by my all time favorite rock group/female singer, Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks and I think it fits this post to a tee:





No comments:

Post a Comment