Friday, March 28, 2014

Who's "got you"?

Reflecting on the mean ass, triflin' message left by an anonymous poster the other day reminded me of how absolutely critical it is for super nontrads (premeds over age 40) to have their support systems SUPER in tact.

Then I got to thinking about the numerous people who were in my life say 3 years ago, that no longer are. Or as in the case of my mother, folks who I just don't discuss details of my career plans with (which makes me really miss my Dad, because there was nothing in the world he didn't think I could do). Luckily for me, my support system is more in tact now that it has EVER been but I've had to adjust to a few things, because while it used to be easy for me to find mentors, the older I got, the harder finding supportive mentors became. And as much as I'd like to think my age isn't playing a HUGE factor in that, the fact is that I think it is primarily due to my MD/PhD goal.

Movin' on, my business is now really booming as in I'm almost making the same salary from my "real job", but working only 1/4 of the time. Yeah! :)

I also learned that I won't be able to start my fellowship until May or August of this year. And that's kinda sad but I think it means that there's more God wants me to learn where I'm at right now. So I've come to terms with that and I'm enjoying my current gig more than ever now that I understand why I'm here. Learn the lesson, then move on.

Class wise things are fabulous, I've got a 100% average in the second part of my Bioinformatics methods course and I've scheduled my ER and second IM clinic rotations for my Health Informatics course. My R programming course starts in a week and I have NO idea how I'm going to be able to do it all, so I may just drop that class depending on if I get a definitive start date on my fellowship.

Now I'd like to end this post with my favourite song by the group The Roots featuring my other girl, Eryka Badu. Because I know without equivocation that there are many people, both in my personal and professional life, "who've got me"!!!


2 comments:

  1. As you know, there are far more for you than against you...and on behalf of your many other virtual supporters, we've got your back too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elle, I really appreciate you and all the "virtual" support I receive!!

      I always say that there are two things one can never get too much of, support and love!!

      Thanks again!!!

      Delete